The Transportation Department transports more than 22,000 students every school day on 220 district-owned buses. Our mission is to support the education process by transporting students safely, reliably and efficiently to and from school and school events. If you have questions please call us at 651-423-7685.
Service distances for transportation are one mile and further from school for elementary students and 1.5 miles and further for middle and high school students as defined in section 1 of Policy 707, Student Transportation. These service distance criteria also apply to students attending the district’s magnet schools and all non-public school students. Minnesota law requires school districts to provide transportation to any student who lives 2 miles and further from their assigned school.
A student’s distance from school, as referred to in Policy 707, section 1.4, is defined as the shortest distance from the student’s residence (where the front of the property meets the street), by reasonably safe walkway, street or highway that is accessible to the public, to the curb-step or walkway at the assigned entrance of the school the student attends. If any portion of where the front of the residential property meets the street is outside the walking distance, the student will be provided busing to and from school.
Fee-for-service transportation option
A fee-for-service transportation option is available to any student who is not eligible for transportation based on the distance from their home or daycare to school.
Did you know?
- District 196 maintains approximately 220 vehicles, which is the largest district-owned bus fleet in the state.
- We employ more than 280 drivers, chaperones, vehicle technicians and transportation office staff.
- District 196 transports more than 22,000 students to and from school each day.
- District buses travel more than 2.5 million miles each year.
- All buses must pass rigorous state inspections each year.
- All buses have two-way radios for constant contact with the Transportation Department.
- Bus evacuation drills are held twice a year at all grade levels.
Coordinator of Transportation
15180 Canada Avenue
Rosemount, MN 55068
5:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.